Tuesday, May 3, 2011

In which I whine about education and how studying abroad kind of sucks sometimes, because I'm privileged and ungrateful

Maybe it's because I've spent the last two and a half weeks doing nothing but studying, or maybe it's because I have two weeks left containing nothing but four finals and even more studying, but I'm kind of sick of the educational system over here right now.  I would like to say, for the record, that my college in the U.S. is academically superior to the University of Edinburgh, at least in terms of professors and lecture style.  Two of the professors I've had this semester were, to put it politely, pretty underwhelming in their lecture capabilities.  The lectures are huge and impersonal, and the only redeeming factor is the once-a-week tutorials that have now gone away.  Those were where all the people I could most consider my friends were. And even when I had my tutorial friends, I never had anyone I could really confide in.  

I miss my college.  I honestly just want to head back to California right now to see my friends and take some science classes and some math that doesn't make me want to stab my eyes out (actually, the one class I'm fond of here is one of my math classes, but my other math class is making me want to stab my graph paper).  I want to see my friends both at home and at college - friends who I know and who know me and who I can just really be myself with again.  I don't really know anyone here, and there's maybe one person I can go full tilt nerdy with, and I literally haven't seen her in months.  Other than my two trips out of Scotland and the time my parents visited, I could probably count the number of times I've been hugged on one hand.

The problem is that right now my whole life is studying, and not living in Scotland.  I don't think I've really lived in Scotland since I got here.  Kind of a vicious cycle: I didn't make friends quickly so I stayed in at night, I stayed in at night so I didn't make friends.  So here I am, sitting in my room staring at math like I have been nearly every night for the last two and a half weeks, mentally cursing my professor for being completely unhelpful in lecture and for being so unengaging that what he did teach properly didn't register in my brain like it should have.  Sitting here feeling sorry for myself because I'm lonely and frustrated and bored, and then feeling disappointed in myself for moping because kids in Japan are being irradiated as I type and they're all going to die of cancer while I sit around feeling sorry for myself and not doing anything about it. 

This is my life right now.  History all day, math at night, shower and laundry when I can squeeze it in, sleep when I get too frustrated with math to keep going.  I guess there are two final points to be made here:

1) There is most likely going to be nothing of interest on this blog or on my YouTube account until early June, when I'll finally be back in the States after five months.  I've got quite a few ideas backed up, don't worry about that.
2) Say hi.  Comment on this blog or send me a Facebook message or whatever works.  I've desperately been trying not to spam my friends on Facebook with messages, because I don't want to drive them all away, but I really am a bit lonely over here.  So this is my open call to say IT'S OKAY TO SPAM ME WITH MESSAGES (as long as they aren't, well, spam).  Don't worry about bothering me; I'll tell you if it becomes a problem.  Make these last few weeks in Scotland feel less like self-imposed solitary confinement. 

3 comments:

  1. HI JULIA!!!!
    Wow...you've pretty much described my french experience. Although instead of stabbing out the eyes of the maths god I wanted to stab out the eyes of every french person ever for making me work so hard in a language *I don't speak*. I COULD NOT WAIT to get back to Claremont. Even though I made a mistake and took too many classes (again), even though some things didn't work out the way I'd planned and even though a significant subset of my friend group was missing (what the hell are you doing in Scotland when you should be in Claremont Julia?), being at Scripps is wonderful. And, in between freaking out about my lack of summer plans and studying for this final I need to get 95% on, I would do well to remember that.
    <3 see you in Juuuuuuuune!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I still lurk from my RSS feed.

    I identify completely with the vicious cycle of friendlessness making it difficult to make friends. I honestly do not understand how the initial spark to start off the cycle is supposed to work, but it seems nearly impossible to meet people when you don't already know people. If you ever want to talk I'd be up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI DARLING. I love you. And I don't think you've sent me much, so it's COMPLETELY OKAY TO SPAM ME.

    I'm not completely awake right now, and I have to get to class, but I'll come back in some form on some sort of social media to talk to you fo realz, okay? <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete