Friday, June 18, 2010

Mountie Crack.

Imagine you are a modern-day pirate on Lake Michigan.  Then imagine that a full crew of Mounties on a tall ship start firing their cannons at you and then rappel on board.  This is the world of Due South, a show about a Mountie named Benton Fraser who, as he explains it, "First came to Chicago on the trail of the killers of my father and, for reasons which don't need exploring at this juncture, I have remained, attached as liaison to the Canadian consulate."  Fraser is polite, truthful, and oblivious - or, as dreamwaffles puts it, Dudley Do-Right played straight.


Photobucket
Also, he has a wolf.


She also describes the show as "Mountie crack", which, as my first two sentences would indicate, is a rather apt description.  I've only seen one episode, but the show is amazing.  My friend Nia described the show as a weird violation of the first law of tragicomedy in which drama increases with tension while comedy decreases.  In Due South, both the humor and drama increase with tension.  It's different than anything I've seen before, but it really works.  Check it out if you have some spare time.

1 comment:

  1. I love Due South. Quirky and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete