Monday, June 28, 2010

Two months in and I already have grandchildren.

Okay, I know that I promised the second installment of my "Times I Know I am in College" posts today, but something else has come up.  Today is the two month anniversary of this blog!  Now I know what you might be thinking: "Two months?  So what?"  Well here's a question.  Have you ever tried blogging every day?  For most of you, the answer is no.  It's often somewhat difficult and takes a bit of planning and thought.  However, some of you out there have taken up the challenge of blogging, and therefore this post is about you.

One of the reasons that I started blogging is that I wanted to make some sort of mark on the world.  Now it could be that this is as big as my blog ever gets.  That's fine.  I like doing this for fun and I have enough readers that I feel motivated to maintain my daily posting schedule.  However, my blog has gone on to reach a little beyond itself.  One of the things that makes me happiest in the world is when someone tells me that they have started a blog and that Methyl Ethyl Aldehyde helped to inspire their action.  This has happened several times.  A few of my friends have recently started small blogs that update infrequently but accomplish the purposes that their authors set out to do.  Some other friends have followed more closely in my footsteps.  I would like to point these blogs out.

The first blog that cites Methyl Ethyl Aldehyde as one influence is Business as Usual, a daily blog by The Artful Dodger (T.A.D.) over at http://workingsofbrilliance.blogspot.com/.  It tends toward somewhat philosophical reflections on life and societal expectations, and T.A.D. does it quite well.  I am quite proud of her and the thoughts she puts on the internet.  Her blog has also inspired another person to give blogging a shot and, since I sort of consider bloggers to form a strange kind of family, I like to think of that blog as a kind of internet grandchild.  It puts a smile on my face whenever I think about it.

The other daily blog is The Zeppelin Diaries by Mister Flask at http://twentyfivehour.blogspot.com/.  I think the fact that this is one of my favorite blogs reflects quite strongly on the type of person I am, but I believe that Mister Flask has produced some genuinely hilarious posts.  The Zeppelin Diaries is mostly about RPGs like D&D, but it is also about BEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.  Two of my favorite posts so far are this and this.

I really hope that neither of these authors has a problem with me linking their blogs, mostly because I think that they are worthy of a few more readers taking a look at them.  I'm proud of these bloggers who looked at M.E.A. and decided to jump in head-first and give daily blogging a shot.  They are producing quality stuff and in many ways have already surpassed me.  I love it.

Once again, I would like to thank my readers for continuing to spend a little of their valuable time reading this blog.  It has been a great two months so far and I hope this blog continues to take me wherever it may go for a long time to come.  Allons-y!

3 comments:

  1. Sigh... and here I was secretly harboring the little thought that you had been inspired by MY blog (along with bloggers like Allie Brosh), which would mean that I have great-grandchildren... Alackaday, I suppose not. But I'm so glad that you've found something you enjoy! I love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks for the mention Trope Girl!
    It is totally fine for you to link to my blog. I think you linking to it already got me one new follower, which is so amazing.

    Happy two month birthday! Can't wait to make it to that milestone and see where we are then.

    Cheers. Enjoy this day. I think it's quite a step that you've had two months. Six days from now and I'll be celebrating my one month!
    Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huzzah! My blog is garnering attention! Thanks for the link and the awesome commentary-- it's really cool to have people enjoying my writing.

    May you have many more months of high-quality postings!

    ReplyDelete