Thursday, May 6, 2010

And the moral of the story is...

In honor of Lizzle's comment about how life's stories start and end all the time, here is a small story from my life which I can finally tell because I've put the required work into it.

Back in middle school, I attended a youth group for a while - partially because I wanted to see if I could find God, but mostly because I wanted to hang out with my best friend.

One night, I got into a strange little game with my best friend and her younger brother.  I had decided that only I could drink from the water fountain; they were not allowed.  There was a small battle for ownership of the water fountain which culminated in me carrying out my threat to spit a mouthful of water on my friend's brother if he got too close.  However, at this point my single weapon for defending the water fountain was spent, and so my now-wet enemy made his way to the fountain and filled up his mouth with water just as I had before.  Terrified, I bolted from the room.

I ran outside of the church looking for a place to hide.  Looking across the lawn, I saw a bush in the distance.  I quickly formulated the following plan:

mealdehyde blackberrybush

I decided that time was running short and that this was as good a plan as any, so I decided to go for it.  Unfortunately, me being me, that's not actually how it worked out.

mealdehyde,blackberrybush

Yeah.  I ended up trapped in a blackberry bush several feet below the ground-level I had previously been running on.  I tried pulling myself out, but, as I already pointed out, this was a BLACKBERRY BUSH.  I ended up shouting for help for about twenty minutes before somebody found me.

I found out later from my best friend (who I scared half-to-death with the whole thing - if you ever read this, I'm sorry!) that because of the weird echo effect from the church wall I had fallen near, my shouting sounded like a party down the road rather than a trapped teenage girl.  Amazingly, the only wounds I sustained were scratches - I'm really lucky I didn't break a leg or poke out an eye.

My favorite part of the story is that which I indicated in the title of the post.  The moral of this story can be boiled down to one common phrase: "Look before you leap."  You know, the sad thing is that I feel like if I was faced with a similar situation today, I'd still probably take the leap.  I'm still just a little too impulsive and a little too jumpy (ooh, bad accidental pun) in scary situations.

P.S.  Yes, I changed the layout just to accommodate the MS Paint pictures.  I wish there was another way, and I think there is, but I'm too lazy to find it.  Someday I will.

Also, here is a partial draft of one of the pictures in which I accidentally made myself look like the flying spawn of Satan.

The Blackberry Bush Bonus

3 comments:

  1. -cracks up- I love this story. And what your blog lacks in your facial expressions, it makes up for in silly pictures. Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'know, you could probably make smaller pictures and then everything would be fine... Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smaller pictures are no fun. I need room to express myself! Besides, I'd have to sacrifice the high level of detail that I painstakingly put into my art.

    ReplyDelete